THE GIFT OF PAIN


      I’ve been dealing with some pain lately, and, strangely, it’s making me see things more clearly. It’s opened my eyes, I guess, after years of what seems like a kind of blindness. I’m not actually blind, and I’ve had a relatively successful life, and yet this painful situation is, in some ways, waking me up. It’s as if I’ve been asleep in a dreamland where I was a completely separate entity surrounded by countless enemies – disease, loss, disasters, failures, etc. – and I’m now waking up to the fact that real life is something completely different. I see now that I’m no more separate from everything around me than a drop of water is separate from the ocean. My pain is not actually “mine”, but the pain of the world – the pain of sorrowful parents, of suffering hospital patients, and of all dying things, from antelopes to insects. The ocean of life and death rolls and rushes and levels out, and I and all of us move with it in a secretly graceful way. Pain is just the way the ocean of life looks at one moment, but in the next it could look like love and light-heartedness. I was a hospital “patient”  a few days ago, and it’s a good word, because it has helped me learn to be patient, to prepare myself to see more clearly this new universe that pain is surprisingly spreading out before me.